Pain Relief – Addressing “Causes”
In the clinic people often ask me what is causing their pain. My answer is always the same—it stems from many sources. In fact, I don’t like the word “cause” as it implies a very narrow view of looking at the issue. I prefer the phrase “associated factors” opposed to “causes” as this holds a more holistic view of the deep interconnection between all your body systems, your mind and life as a whole. But here is the easy answer for the top 4 main “causes” or “associated factors” involved in the manifestation of pain or any health condition.
1. Trauma – This may be recent or from anytime in your life including as far back as birth trauma. Also includes surgical trauma and repetitive strain issues. Postural imbalances due to weakness also create a sort of “micro-trauma” through impaired biomechanics which leads to strain and compensatory tensions.
2. Nutritional Deficiencies stemming from:
- Dietary deficiency: most people have some level of deficiency as a result of eating foods grown in mineral depleted soil resulting in a deficiency of magnesium, zinc, selenium and other minerals. Poor diet habits also contribute to nutrient deficiencies, inflammation and poor detoxification.
- Emotional stress: depletes B vitamins, magnesium and vitamin C and impairs nutrient absorption and detoxification.
- Medications: cholesterol lowering drugs deplete CoQ10 and birth control pills deplete vitamin B2, B12, folic acid, vitamin C, zinc. Tylenol depletes glutathione—your body’s main detoxification enzyme, and many medications deplete magnesium. The list is extensive.
- Lack of sun exposure: depletes vitamin D which is crucial for various physiological processes.
3. Toxicity – This is an impairment of your body’s ability to eliminate endotoxins (toxins that your body naturally produces and seeks to eliminate such as yeast toxins) and exotoxins (environmental toxins from food, air, water and physical contact). Toxic metals such as mercury, lead, cadmium, and arsenic which are prevalent in our environment compete for your healthy minerals such as magnesium, calcium, zinc, sulphur and selenium which are responsible for maintaining all your body’s functions including muscle, nerve and joint function.
4. Emotions and Beliefs – Your body responds physically to every conscious and subconscious thought and emotion that you have. Emotions and beliefs that do not support your physiology will draw from it. Stress depletes your nutrients and disrupts blood sugar levels, hormone levels (cortisol, adrenaline, noradrenaline, dopamine, serotonin, estrogen, progesterone, testosterone, etc.), creates inflammation and obstructes chi flow through your meridians. Just breathe….and relax….and let it go.
The therapies I use in the clinic eliminate pain and resolve health problems by correcting the four factors depending on what your body’s priorities are. For information about the therapies visit: http://ryancarnahan.com/therapies/